Learning Challenge: E Story


I chose the Empathy story about "I wish my teacher knew..." because my mom is in education so I have a soft spot for endearing teacher stories because they remind me of her. She has been in education my entire life from being a teacher to top tier school system administration, and I think she is one of the most caring people in education ever, but I am a little biased.

I feel like often the education system as a whole gets caught up in grades and tests, and forgets that students are human beings. Stories like this emphasize that disparity, as well as emphasizing the impact a teacher or professor can have. I am glad that stories like this have gained some notoriety because I have had teachers or professors in the past that could use this reminder. Often, even now in college, I think that some professors like the power trip of being in charge and take that a little too far at times without considering what else students have going on.

I think a good way to practice compassion is just being available to people and listening. Everyone thinks they are a good listener, but I think it is easy to get wrapped up in our own lives and forget to slow down and check on the people around us and hear how they are doing. I think that checking on people gives them the opportunity and space to talk about something if they need to, but the privacy to deny telling someone their life story if they need more time. Also, programs like the "I wish my teacher knew..." project seem helpful or even this classes anon form. It is just important to be there for others, even when it may not be the most convenient thing for you personally.

Photo Information: Classroom, Pxhere, Source

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an indecisive girl

Week 13 Story: The Princes' Tree