Week 12 Story: Helpful Angelica

The updated version of this story is on my portfolio


As the parents put all the kids in the play pen for a nap, Angelica watched them all. She knew the babies were super sneaky and would not actually go to sleep when they were put down. Tommy was sure to be conspiring some new plan to break out. As the parents left the room, gushing about how perfect the babies are, Angelica peered around the corner. As she did, she saw Phil and Lil pull out a stash of candy they had hidden in a toy. The twins never agreed on anything and soon they were arguing about who got which candy, both fighting over the prized lollipop. They began to wrestle for it, when Angelica realized her opportunity. She approached the playpen and began to mediate.

"I know who should get what candy because I am older so I know what is fair," she explained.

"Then you know I should get the lollipop and the candy bar," claimed Phil.

"No, I should get the candy bar, lollipop, and gum," said Lil, "because Phil pulled my hair! And that is cheating."

Angelica seized the opportunity saying, "I think Lil should get the candy bar since pulling hair is not nice and Phil you get the gum." And as she handed out the candy she put the lollipop into her pocket.

"Hey! That's no fair" said Phil.

"Yeah, you stole from us," yelled Lil.

"Shush! It is my fee for helping solve your problem!," responded Angelica. She then unwrapped the lollipop and put in her mouth skipping away.

The twins were upset and the other babies were astonished, but with the playpen locked and the parents coming back soon there was nothing they could do.


The twins knew better than to fight over stuff and now neither of them got the chance to have a lollipop. They decided to split their candy with the other babies to makeup for starting a fight and getting Angelica involved in the first place.

Authors Note: This story is an adaptation of a Jakata Tale. In the original two otters argue over a fish that one of them caught. A wolf sees them arguing and helps resolve the fight by splitting the fish into pieces but he keeps the best part of the fish for himself. The otters are upset but there is nothing they can do. This story reminded me of someone taking candy from a baby because the otters could not do anything about the wolf taking the fish, so I changed the characters into members of the show Rugrats that was on when I was little.

Bibliography: Ellen C. Babbitt, More Jakata Tales, Source
Image: Rugrats, Flickr, Source

Comments

  1. I love this story. The rugrats was one of my favorite cartoons growing up, so I definitely had to check this one out. You set the scene very nicely, and provided a great amount of detail which helped paint a picture of what you were imagining. I could totally see Phil and Lil arguing over candy until Angelica jumps on the opportunity to make decisions for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kennedie! I have to admit I didn't watch very much rugrats when I was a kid, only enough to know all the characters. I thought this was a surprisingly nice story; although I felt upset that Angelica got away with stealing the lollipop, the twins learned to share and will undoubtedly be ready for her next scheme. I think this was a neat and well done revision of a jataka.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again! Oh my gosh! I love this story! It definitely bring back memories from elementary school watching Rugrats. I love that you decided to incorporate this into your story! Your detail is really good and I can totally picture everything that is happening. This is such a creative way to retell this story! Great job and I look forward to reading more. Good luck finishing up the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kennedie! It is great to get the chance to read one of your stories. This was such a cute idea for an interpretation of the epic. I used to watch the Rugrats all of the time. It was interesting to see how a storyline from the Tales was able to be applied to the context of a cartoon. It worked perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to an indecisive girl

Week 13 Story: The Princes' Tree